Of Food and Love recipes: Irish potato casserole potato casserole vegetarian meals
by Mommy Hobbies
In my napsack stash
Very apropos considering it’s almost St. Patty’s day. It wasn’t planned this way, honest, but let me tell you, so glad I found this recipe.
I’m getting to run my first half-marathon next weekend and in an effort to just eat as clean as I can, I vowed one week without meat. Scramble! Me, desperately trying to find dishes that will satisfy my never ending hunger and please the rest of the fam as well. It’s difficult. I thought my kids would like this dish since it’s only potatoes! But, no, the texture threw them off and it ended up being me and papa demolishing the whole thing. And I’d do it again.
If I could change anything about this recipe, it would be a little less butter. It was extremely tasty, but the butter…mmm, I don’t know, I don’t think it would hurt to use a TB less.
This struck me as a very, very simplified version of scalloped potatoes. What really made this dish was the egg. It was the perfect thickener. This is a great side dish, it says it serves 6, but D and I were able to eat it between the two of us…maybe because it was our main course, who knows. I served it up with sauteed zucchini.
I will give you all a 6 serving version and a 12 serving version.
Irish Potato Casserole :: courtesy of Allrecipes
- 2 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 1.5 quart baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, butter, eggs, onion, salt and paprika. Mix well.
- Place potato mixture into the prepared baking dish and pour milk over top. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Sprinkle top with cheese, return to oven and bake until cheese melts and is slightly browned.
- 4 cups peeled and shredded potatoes
- 1 cup melted butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese