Of Food and Love recipes: black beans and chicken chicken chicken bake easy chicken and rice bake vegetarian meal vegetarian meals
by Mommy Hobbies
In my napsack stash
I was cruising around Instagram the other day when I saw two things that I wanted to eat that instant — chicken and black beans. Someone had put them in a salad and I wanted to put it in rice.
So, I went on the hunt and found this crazy good recipe. There are two ways to make it, the easy (not so healthy way) or the little bit longer (but much healthier way) way You choose!
I chose the longer way, because I swore off boxed rices a long time ago and haven’t regretted that decision at all. This recipe was an adventure for me, because it gave me a chance to try out an underused spice in my arsenal — Turmeric.
Turmeric , the unsung hero of spices I like to say, has amazing properties: a natural antiseptic, speeds up the healing process for wounds, anti-inflammitory, liver detoxifier. What!? That little yellow spice does all that and more? Like I said, unsung hero of the spice world.
I’m not an amazing cook, I just like to experiment with different recipes and try new things. This was one of those nights. I made yellow rice for the first time. In rice love, immediately.
Then, I went on to make the chicken and black bean bake, which was fantastic! It felt better knowing that I had taken the time to make our meal as healthy as I could by making my own rice.
Serve with warm tortillas or (Cuban style) with warm bread. Enjoy!
Courtesy of Southern Living circa 2009
Chicken And Black Bean Bake
- 1 (10-oz.) package yellow rice mix ( I used one cup uncooked rice to start my yellow rice mixture)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (didn’t have any green pepper, turned out fine)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken (vegetarian option: 1 1/2 cups lightly sauteed zucchini)
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 2 cups (8 oz.) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, sauté onion, bell pepper, and carrot in hot oil in a medium skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Combine hot cooked rice, onion mixture, chicken, beans, diced tomatoes and chiles, and 1 1/2 cups cheese in a large bowl. Spoon into a lightly greased 3-qt. or 13- x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 4. Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.