13 Nov 2012, 8:36am


  • What’s new

    Top of the list is: Handmade Goodness Giveaways Project! Please be sure to ENTER. Just click the link (when there is one) at the top of the most recent post! This project is in an effort to promote local and independent artists. Crafters, photographers, designers (of all types) -- man, woman or child all are welcome. Each giveaway will feature a different artist with a different talent, please join, if you will! Contact me: mommyhobbies [at] gmail [dot] com
  • In my napsack stash

  • Running: Recovering from my first marathon

    How to explain the aches and pains after running 26.2 miles for the very first time…

    Immediately following my race I ate and took a nap.  I kicked myself for not bringing my foam roller and commenced to knead my cramped muscles by hand.  Nothing compares to the awful yet wonderful pain of a good foam rolling.

    My quads were so shaky and sore, calves no better, but what made it really uncomfortable was the fact my toes were bruised. Like, eight out of ten.  Uhg.  It did not make for graceful walking at all.   We went to dinner that evening after my race and it was completely comical, watching me navigate carefully from the car to the restaurant and then stand shakily in the vestibule waiting to be seated.  My knees were totally not stable.  They were popping a lot.  They didn’t hurt, just really loose feeling.  Basically, I’ve been hobbling the past two days.

    Chose to wear my running shoes to my post-marathon dinner over the nice boot I brought. Couldn’t bear the thought of cramming my bruised toes into those things.

    I wish I had brought flip flops or something so my feet could have had the space needed to relax and not be boxed in by my shoes.  Whatever.  Next time.

    Now, the day after my race my legs were still wobbly and the quads needed assistance.  hah.  Still not easy to walk up and down stairs and my knees were still a little loosey goosey.

    Two days after the race, my legs were much stronger, less sore but my toes were in so much pain.  They actually woke me up in the middle of the night throbbing horribly.

    Now on to today.  I can say that I only have slight soreness in my legs and my toes are the only issue, still.  Stubborn little piggies.  Two of my toenails have been threatening to jump ship, but I keep coaxing them to stick around.  *sigh* We’ll see.  My first real run will happen this Saturday exactly one week after my race.  It’s a 5k.  I’m  a running buddy for a young girl who is part of the Girls On The Run program (amazing program by the way).  What a better way to ease back into to training (gasp. yes! training) than a short and sweet 5k.

    But, until that happens, I’m just trying not to eat like a pig and reminding myself to stay hydrated.

    Sounds like me! Although I only have 1 toe that’s hurtin’.

    13 Nov 2012, 12:46pm
    by Mommy Hobbies


    How was your race?? What was your time?

    My race was great even though my time wasn’t! 5:28 My training was derailed because my Dad was hospitalized in San Francisco for 7 1/2 weeks. I wasn’t even sure if I was going to do it, but I finished and was happy with that.

    Love your shoes at dinner – I wore my compression socks!

    14 Nov 2012, 7:49am
    by Mommy Hobbies


    Aw, yeah, it’s amazing how quickly our bodies tend to regress! With my two week NYC marathon upset, my training was a little wonky. I mean, I ran and whatnot, but it wasn’t the same as coming off of a fabulous 20 mile run straight into the marathon. Glad you were able to run yours, though!!

    Glutamine powder!!!!! It works! :) mix it in your protein shake.

    14 Nov 2012, 7:49am
    by Mommy Hobbies


    REally? I’ll have to give that a go…where do you get it?

  • Points of Interest

    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • My Button! Grab it…

    Mommy Hobbies
  • Handmade Goodness :: By me!

  • Blog Lovin’

  • Run with me!

  • I blog here, too!

  • Blue Eyed Beauty

    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog